Tuesday, January 11, 2011

In memory of Philip, a cycling mate

11.1.11

He passed away this morning due to liver cancer. The last time I saw him was at a lunch after our group's Desaru long ride on Vesak Day 2010.

The fatherly man reminded me about PERSEVERANCE. At an age of over 60, he could ride long distances, and insisted on completing every ride. There were at least 3 times that I remember I was cycling either in front or behind him, as we were the last ones in our group.

In a long ride where he lost one of his bottles and did not have enough water, we had a short stop for slight recovery. I remember he said this, that he had never given up in riding no matter how tough, and would not flag for a cab in the middle of his ride.

In the Desaru ride, I could even hear him trying to catch his breath under the extreme hot sun, and I kept asking him if he was all right.

But he continued on in all the rides, without giving up. I salute his mental strength, and I hope he now can rest in peace and without pain.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home